Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm making soap... turn back your clocks to 1870..


Finally my liquid laundry detergent is getting low.

I snagged this laundry detergent recipe from another blogger (located her through Pinterest). The idea of not buying laundry detergent for nearly a year sounds terrific.

Must say however the whole thing makes me feel like I'm stepping back in time about a century, will be heading to the General Store for the  ingredients and a pound of lard, perhaps a bolt of yardgoods. 


In case you want to check out this gal's blog;

Homemade Laundry Soap!!


Sick of buying laundry soap?? This stuff is awesome because it is way stronger then the store bought laundry soap. You only have to use 1 Tablespoon per load. (I'm going to have to restrain myself..more is better ya know.)
This recipe makes a huge cookie jar full of soap. The blogger said she was doing at least 8 loads of laundry every week and the mixture lasted 9 months, at a cost of less than $20. I'm in. 

I've copied her instructions.
Here is what you need:
1 - 4 lb box Borax

1 - 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

1 - 4lb box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

3 bars of Fels-naptha soap

2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean
(this is optional but  I'm adding it, the cleaner the better)

(you can also use pink Zote soap instead of Fels-naptha. I understand it's available at Home Depot)

You should be able to find all of these items at your grocery store.
Start out by grating your Fels-naptha soap just like cheese. You can use a food processor or just use your hand held grater, what ever you have.

Toss all ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag. This part makes your whole house smell great. Once everything is mixed store soap however you like. I chose a jar that I keep above my washing machine, I also got a little scoop to keep inside. Wasn't that easy? Sure was! Enjoy your soap.



I'll let you know how this wild idea pans out.
Sideline  

No comments:

Post a Comment