Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Meet polymyalgia rheumatica.

What to do, what to do? But change gears today 
I don't particularly like to talk about personal things. I would rather talk about dogs being inappropriate or adorably cute babies and grandchildren activities.

But here goes. 
As you know I'm a gardener, landscaper, have been a walker for health my whole adult life. As a member of a fitness center a workout friend and I push the elliptical machines and stair steppers until we're just plain sweating g'mas. 

Since I pretty much fill you in on everything going on here on the Lovely Wooded Compound.. (you DO understand that's simply a term of endearment, it's not really that large, just lovely, well and wooded).
You also get the gist of all the commotion at the codge what with people acting silly.



Today I decided to fill you in on what happened the morning of June 7, 2012. And since that day. 
On June 6 I had a sore neck, used a heating pad and felt a bit sick, just a bit flu-like. The next morning I woke up at my normal time of 5:30 a.m. and could hardly get out of the bed.
Since Sideline Grandpa was sleeping, like a normal person, I managed to exit the bed and head to the bathroom where sitting down was next to impossible. (told you I don't like to get personal! Ha.)

Now. .. to back up.
There were no warnings this was going to happen. None.
My body had turned on me, there was no way around it!  All the energy and vitality that had been my hallmark of life was gone.
The only disease my limited medical knowledge could come up with was that it was rheumatoid arthritis.    It's not.

My plan for life was, and still is, to follow mom's example. 


This is mom, she's 95 years old.and healthy.
There's but one reason this topic is going on the blog today and that is to inform those who are stopping in at Sideline about polymyalgia rheumatica just in case you or someone you love should one day wake up and not be able to turn over. 
Let's get the information out here, from the stories I've read some people suffer for months before they find the right diagnosis or realize help is available. 

Back to June 2012.
After not having a physical in five years I had an appointment on the calendar for June 26,
I waited until that day to unload on my doctor asking, "what in the world happened to this otherwise strong and busy body?" (nope.. I didn't say busybody!). 
The blood test that might have pinpointed the disease (around here it's called the SED Rate) came back normal 
(15% of the tests come back with false negatives)

But the presentations of the pain and stiffness in the body indicated the diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica. 
If prednisone reduces the pain it confirms the diagnosis.

So here's what it feels like; 
Pain in the muscles surrounding the six largest joints, they are inflamed. 
Pain and stiffness in the upper arms and shoulders which is why it's hard to turn over
Pain in the front of the hip joint in the groin area, (as in having to lift your own legs into the car!)
Pain and stiffness in the back of the knees
Lower back pain
The pain is identical on each side of the body
Might require help getting out of bed or up from a sitting position 
Some people say they hurt from the neck to the toes.

Now to the good news, there are effective treatments - Prednisone when given in the correct dosage will reduced the pain level, so one can at least move but let's be honest, it's not the same. Other drugs are used for pain management.

The not so good news is this will be a long process. And there are those good ole' side effects of a steroid. "Moon face"  seriously!??


Inactivity is not my friend..
friend! 
 
Here's a link to a website created by a woman who is still battling PMR, she lives in Australia. Seeking to find others with PMR and those who would understand what she was experiencing she formed an online support group.
Should you or someone you know suspect you have PMR or Giant Cell Arteritis you might find this of help.
Her name is Diane. She's a darling lady.
http://www.polymyalgiarheumaticasupport.com/index.html


Statistics
  • It affects about 1 in 200 people over age 50.
  • The average age of onset is 70.
  • 10-15% of people diagnosed with PMR also have Giant Cell Arteritis

Be blessed.. I am!
One more thought..
As I sit, ponder and think of all the blessings of my life and what my heavenly Father has given me and rest in the Lord's arms of Love it's overwhelming to know He says this;


In all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


There will be monumental lessons learned and cherished from this, they will come straight from the Father of Glory.
Praise Him.
Sideline Grandma..

No comments:

Post a Comment