Sunday, August 21, 2011

Around the lake in Aug..

We spent much of this summer living at our place on the north side of a 200 acre lake.



This week I maneuvered a kayak around it, two days in a row,
and my arms are still attached to my shoulders, imagine that!

My inspiration came from the story of two adventurous women from Drummond Island, Michigan who paddled around Drummond in just four days. (see; Drummond Island, no sideliners these.)


Well..by-guuullly then, I reckoned, I better hike up my shorts and lower my grandma body down into the hub of a yellow kayak and move it.
I did and it was;
Delightful. Peaceful. Calming. Bottom-numbing. Upper body working. Refreshing.

And I couldn't wait to do it again, with a camera.




Did you know that a floating kayak is in constant motion either swinging around, tipping from side to side, or bouncing up and down from the water's movement?
This makes taking a clear picture quite a challenge.
It was fun trying.

Photos from around the lake.



We enjoy seeing these whimsical bears out for a walk on the hillside.




Located across the lake from us this pink cottage 
is a favorite of our little grandgirls.
It's been lovingly dubbed  the "Pink Palace".
 

Such character in this old structure. Love it. 
Please don't fall down.
 


The kayak kept moving over this flower and the sun was so bright I really had no
idea what had been captured.
It was a sweet surprise to discover this lilypad blossom on the camera.
 

The quiet movement of the kayak allowed me to sneak up on this little guy.
As soon as the camera clicked the bird took off.
I moved the camera just a little and took a random photo
hoping to catch the bird in flight.



The result..
 


Then this photo showed up.
I began to wonder just Who was actually orchestrating
this little kayak ride.

 
amazed... and
getting off the sideline.
Grandma.


No comments:

Post a Comment